Saturday, April 21, 2018
Run in 2 states for 1 great cause!
Bristol, TN/VA – A Good Place to Run!
8:00 am Half Marathon and 2-Person Relay (Virginia High). 9:00 am 5K Run/Walk ( Washington St.) Run in two great states for one great cause. Exciting start at the Virginia High School track, thrilling finish at Tennessee High School’s Stone Castle. Run through some of Bristol’s historic and beautiful residential neighborhoods along the way. Same great course as last year! Race proceeds benefit the American Cancer Society. Run in honor or memory of someone who has been touched by cancer.
Printable Entry Forms:
Parking and Transportation Information
Parking: It is recommended that you park at the start area at Virginia High. There is plenty of parking near the track and in the general parking areas at the school. Runners are encouraged to have family members or friends meet them at the finish at Tennessee High, but transportation will be provided for those who need it as outlined below.
Relay Teams: Shuttle vans will provide transportation for the 2nd leg runners to their exchange zone near mile 7. Also, once the 1st leg runners hand off to their 2nd leg, transportation will be provided from the exchange zone to the finish at Stone Castle, Tennessee High School.
From Finish To Start: Shuttle vans will provide transportation from the finish at Stone Castle, Tennessee High, back to Virginia High after the race.
Schedule of Events
- 5 pm – 7 pm: Early packet pick up and late registration. Elderbrew Brewer, 24 6th Street, Bristol, TN
- 6 am – 7:30 am: Packet pick up & Registration at Virginia High School, 1200 Long Crescent Drive
- 7:30 am – Early start (optional) for those who think they may finish in 3h 15m or more.
- 7:50 am: Pre-Race Announcements
- 8 am: Half Marathon & Half Marathon 2 person relay
- 9 am: 5K Run/Walk Start at Mile 7 exchange zone (Washington St. and State Street intersection near First Baptist Church).
- 11 am: Post race celebration Stone Castle Tennessee High School, 1112 Edgemont Ave
awards (male & female in all individual categories):
- Half Marathon: Top 3 Overall, Top Masters, Grandmasters, Top 3 in 19 & under, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+
- 5K: Top 3 Overall
- 2-Person Relay: Top 3 teams in Female, Male, and Co-ed categories.
RELAY tEAM INFORMATION
The Course – Running the same course as the half marathon, the team relay consists of 2 participants per team with each running either the 1st or 2nd half of the course (roughly 7.0 miles for the first leg, and 6.1 miles for the second leg). Teams have the option of one team member running the entire half marathon as an individual runner, and the other team member running only the 2nd leg. The relay will run concurrent with the half marathon and will start at 8am at Virginia High.
Individuals Running The First Leg Of The Relay – If your relay team has a team member who is running the entire half marathon, that team member MUST register as an individual half marathoner, and will of course run the first leg of the relay and keep going after handing off to the second team member. There will be a question during the registration process where that team member can enter their relay team name.
Bib Numbers, Anklets – Each relay team will be issued two team bibs with one team number (i.e. two bibs with bib number 1001). Team members will pass an anklet from one team member to the next which contains your timing tag. This allows each team to receive their start, exchange zone (Mile 7), and finish time. For best results, please wear the anklet on your ankle with the timing tag on the outside of your leg, and do not put the timing anklet in your pocket or under any articles of clothing. Be sure bib #’s are clearly visible on the front or your shirt.
Transportation – Transportation from Virginia High School to the exchange point will be provided for the runners of the second leg after the race starts. 2nd leg relay runners needing a ride to the exchange zone should plan to meet on the sidewalk outside of the Virginia High track for vans. Transportation from the exchange point back to the Stone Castle (finish line) will also be provided for the 1st leg runners after they complete their leg.
VANS WILL LEAVE PROMPTLY AT POSTED TIMES. IF YOU MISS THE VAN, YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND YOUR OWN MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION TO THE EXCHANGE. DO NOT MISS THE BUS! PLEASE NOTE: Vans must adhere to the same road closures as the general public. While the drivers do their best to find the most direct route, sometimes they get caught in traffic as well.
Amenities – Each runner participating in the Team Relay will receive the same benefits as half marathon participants. A special performance shirt, post-race food and beverage. Medals will be given to all finishers, including each member of the relay.
- Baggage check: at Virginia High school to be delivered to the finish at Stone Castle. Please make sure your bag is clearly marked with your name as you will need to identify it at the finish. Bristol Half & Half is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Medical Support: There will be medical support on the course and in the finish line area.
- Early Start: (7:30 am). We are pleased to announce we will offer an early start option (totally up to you) for participants who think they might run 15 minute miles or more with an expected finish time of more than 3:15. The early start option gives participants the opportunity to finish with a bigger crowd and before the cities open the roads to traffic at 11am. After 11am, runners/walkers will need to get on the sidewalks to complete the half marathon.
Early starters must be on the track (at VA High) by 7:30am to check in, have a watch to record your time and remove the timing tag from the back of your race number/bib. All participants must wear their bib on the front in a way that it can be seen by course officials.
Road guards and water station volunteers are not guaranteed to be on the course till 8am. Please plan appropriately and have a course map which you will find in your runner bag.
Its ok to cross the timing mats on the course and at the finish. When you finish after receiving your medal please go to the scoring tent and report your time to a We Run Events crew member